Monday, January 29, 2007

Think BIG, Start Small

"Anything worth doing is worth doing well."

That's how the phrase goes, right?

My take on it is a little different, here goes:

"Anything worth doing is worth doing poorly."

Huh?

Rarely is someone great at something the first time they try it. But, the ones who become great are willing to start where they are and invest the sweat equity necessary to do it well.

So if you're going to dream big dreams, be willing to put your ego aside and start small.

If you want to be a great public speaker, go speak to a small social group for free.

If you want to write articles for magazines or have a book in Barnes & Noble, start writing and submit articles to e-zines or print off a few copies of your book at http://www.lulu.com and pass them out to anyone who will read them.

If you want to start training athletes - train some for free until you've proven that you can get results.

Do the things that are within your power to do - and do them NOW.

Don't sit around and wait for your big break - it's not going to find you.

You have to find it.

Side note: The reason I wrote about this was that someone I was talking to today suggested to me that they were just waiting for their "big break" like the one that I got. We were talking about goals - what their's were and what mine was. Strangely enough, our goals were similar and we set them at similar times. But I got the "big break" of moving to a town of 23,000 that I had never been to before in arguably the most fitness-unfriendly state in the country to start a business with only about $1500. Add to this that I never had owned a business and most of my professional expertise was in training athletes or coaching baseball. Needless to say that this wasn't exactly what I had in mind when I was envisioning my 'big break' on the path to my goal of being a millionaire doing what I enjoyed. (Yep - that was my goal when I decided to leave coaching). Not there just yet - but my 'big break in disguise' led to countless other opportunities and a thriving business that has laid the foundation for me to achieve my initial goal. (There are different goals now - but I won't bore you with those.)