Friday, October 20, 2006

Are You Ready For Change - Part II

Many of you may be wondering - "What the hell is Rigsby talking about - being ready for change? How's that apply to what I do?"

Let me elaborate.

I was talking to Alwyn Cosgrove yesterday and a couple of things we discussed led me to talk about change.

Alwyn and I are both fans of Thomas Plummer, the Health Club Expert. Thomas was talking about advertising and told Alwyn to invest in Yellow Pages advertising. Alwyn's response was something to the effect of "Which one? There are eight in my city."

Several years ago, placing an ad in your local Yellow Pages was simple and probably crucial - there was one per city (in most cities) and that's where people looked for businesses.

Today, not so simple - and I would suspect not so important. If there are multiple Yellow Pages in my town, I couldn't tell you - I don't own one. If I need to look for a phone number of a business, I go to the Yellow Pages online. Admittedly, I may be the exception - but if I am - I probably won't be for long.

Not so long ago, having a website was for "techies" and probably wouldn't help you with generating local business. Today it's dramatically different. My friend Brian Calkins generates virtually all of his non-referral business online. The health club that Nick and I own generates a significant number of leads online - and we're in small-town Kentucky.

Ryan Lee has made millions anticipating change and staying one (or two) steps ahead of the curve.

So are you anticipating change? Are you staying current with the trends and making the appropriate changes in your business? What worked yesterday won't necessarily work today. So keep up. And better yet - if you are a step ahead of a coming change - you can really prosper.