Sunday, August 06, 2006

Where Will You Be?

Last week during two separate phone coaching sessions personal trainers indicated that they had no specific goals for their business 2, 3 or even 5 years down the road. Oh sure, they said they wanted to make more money or have more clients. For me, those are a little too general.

You've heard the old Zig Ziglar seminar stunt where he'd pull someone out of the audience and he'd ask them what they wanted and they'd reply "more money." He'd proceed to hand them a $1 bill and congratulate them on achieving their goal.

You've gotta be specific.

I hear excuses all the time though. "You need money to make money." "I don't have the credit to borrow what I'd need to open a studio or club." "I wouldn't know where to begin." "My town is too small for a studio." You get the picture. Let me tell you about some simple approaches people took to overcome obstacles like these.

Did you know Alwyn Cosgrove was once an independent trainer in a club? After a while he figured out that what he was paying the club could just as easily be spent on leasing space and opening his own facility. He found a space of about 1000 square feet in a rural shopping center and spent about $3000 for equipment. Each month he reinvested in his facility and now he's got 5000 sq. ft. and I'd make an educated guess that his ROI beats most every big box club out there.

Brian Calkins started training clients in his own home with a simple equipment set up. After just a couple of years he'd saved enough to equip a state of the art studio and now he's laying the groundwork to add multiple locations in the Cincinnati market.

I started my initial personal training company with $500 by contracting to lease the training rights in a health club in a town of 10,000. I soon sold that business back to the club for a nice little profit and launched the same model in a bigger club in a town of 23,000. This time I spent a whopping $1,526 (I still have receipts) because I bought a new computer.

None of those examples required a bank loan, big investment or wonderful circumstances. I could probably find you hundreds more just like them too.

Look, I'm not telling you that you need to open your own studio or club. For that matter, I'm not even suggesting that you have to work for yourself. What I am saying is that you need to have a specific goals of where you want your business and your life to be in a couple of years, otherwise it will probably not significantly improve. Don't dwell on the obstacles that you think will prevent you from achieving what you want...Instead focus on finding solutions.

Next post I'll tell you a little story about how I learned that obstacles are nothing more than things that make your success seem even more impressive when you get there.