Thursday, July 27, 2006

Are You A Publicity Hound?

I was listening to a CD featuring Paul Hartunian while my wife Holly and I were driving to dinner for my weekly "cheat meal" (pretty much all of page 2 of the P.F. Chang menu.) If you're not familiar with him (Hartunian, not Chang), he's the guy who actually sold the Brooklyn Bridge. He's often regarded as the Undisputed Heavyweight Champ of using publicity to your advantage.

I've used press releases to grow my business, promote my team when I coached and any other way that I thought they might benefit me in the past with great success, but I must admit that lately I've been a slacker. After listening to Hartunian I'm definitely going to get back on track. Let's face it, when you buy an add or send a direct mail piece people know you're trying to buy their business. On the other hand, when they see you featured in the newspaper, on the news or hear you on their favorite radio show...You are now an expert. The media appointed you an expert, so presto - you're an expert. And best of all - it's FREE! Tough to get better than that.

Here's the link to Hartunian's site for more information:

http://www.hartunian.com/

I also must tell you that as far as I've seen, my friend Jim Labadie is the resident expert on generating publicity in the fitness industry. His site is:

http://www.trainandgrowrich.com/

He's got a couple of good products specifically for fitness pros who want to generate publicity and use it to their advantage.

I also came across something that might be a good PR opportunity for U.S. trainers (sorry Craig) - The President's Council of Physical Fitness is celebrating it's 50th Anniversary by asking for "partners" for their Get America Moving program. If you submit a brief application you can become a partner, something that would certainly make for a great press release. As an added bonus they will give you a backlink on their site which has a Google page rank of 5. So you can get some local publicity and maybe even get a boost in the search engines.

Check it out at:

http://www.fitness.gov/

Talk to you later.