Thursday, May 31, 2007

Can You Handle The Truth?

Apparently Dax's rant ruffled a few feathers as I had a handful of people unsubscribe yesterday and even a couple of nasty notes.

Obviously we've struck a nerve...so if you can handle it, read on...

********************

"Well, the way I see it, most PT's are in the same boat as most of the clients they're trying to attract. They 'kinda, sorta, maybe' know what they should be doing. They know what they should be doing. They know that to do these things makes sense and yet, well, they just don't do it.

And, in many respects, this wouldn't be the worst thing in the world except that they then turn hypocrite and charge the public for advice about taking positive action, making changes to their lives and adopting new, positive and empowering habits.

It's like taking money under false pretences."

"Wow, that's a pretty strong statement Dax. I'm not sure that the bulk of the PT industry would agree with you there" I said "In fact, I think that a good deal of them would be pretty upset and even offended by that."

"Yes, but that's just my point Pat" he replied "It's the BULK of the industry that get upset and offended all the time whenever anything remotely sounding like truth rears its 'ugly' head.

Yet you never hear the top guys in disagreement do you?

Why is that?" Dax asked.

"Well, I guess it's because statements like that don't apply to them" I answered "They're already achieving the things that most of the industry only dream of."

"Yes, but that's only part of the answer" Dax replied "the other half is that they're successful BECAUSE they're already doing the things they should be doing. They're successful because they're walking their talk and actually DOING the things that they write and talk about. There's no gap between word and deed.

I also think that those who're offended in any way by these kind of statements need to ask themselves 'why?' After all, if the comment doesn't apply to you because you know that you walk your talk, what's there to cause offence?'"

I couldn't help but agree with Dax's assessment of the situation. Certainly all of the really successful people I've been fortunate enough to know personally were all examples of Dax's 'walk the talk' idea. They all did the very things that they expected of their clients, their staff and their readers and, without fail, they were all VERY successful, and not just in PT but in every area of their lives.

"OK Dax, I agree with what you're saying but what can we actually DO about it? After all, you've already said that there are infinite books on the subject of success and on marketing, but if they've not worked to change people's attitudes to success then what do we need to do differently?" I asked.

"Well, the answer is both simple and complex at the same time" he answered.
"The simple part is that they need to take action. LOTS of action!

They need to take action to get into great shape themselves by following the nutrition and exercise plans they give their clients.

They need to take action to define their own excellence and stick to it, even when the going gets tough.

They need to take action to determine the purpose of not just their businesses but their lives too and then establish the habits that allow them to live their lives 'on purpose.'

They need to develop a fashion for passion and dedicate their lives to working in a field that they love rather than the one they think will bring about the most financial improvement.

They need to take action on learning new knowledge, skills and abilities and then testing what they've learned against the real world (NOT writing a book about it before they know what it'll do!)

But like I said, this is simple, but simple isn't always the same as easy. In fact, it rarely is.

And that's why most of the industry are stuck in limbo when it comes to their financial success, they are out of the habit of taking their own advice."

"So that brings us full circle again" I said "You were telling me that you had an idea about a 'lazy test' to find out if the industry were simply too lazy to bring about their success or whether there were other factors that were making their success harder to come by.

Want to spill the beans?" I asked, eager to find out what the answer would be.

"Well, it's a simple answer Pat, we need to give the industry something that we know 100% will work and then challenge them to bring it to life" said Dax.

I've got to admit, I was a little disappointed. Dax had built me up to this point and I was expecting nothing short of pure genius... and this wasn't it.

"Dax, I don't mean to be rude but I've been doing that for years. I've got ebooks galore, audio downloads etc that I've created for the industry and sold very effectively and to great profit. But you know as well as I do that the number of people who actually DO the things that I (and others) teach in our success books is only a very small percentage.

I don't see how selling more will change anything as far as PT's taking action is concerned" I added.

"You're right Pat, but I'm not talking about selling books and audios for profit, I'm talking about creating a 'ripple of intent' throughout the entire industry by getting them to take action and keep taking action until they're actually getting their own successes rather than reading about the successes of others."

"Sounds great!" I answered "But how?"

Dax actually started to laugh as he answered "You're not going to like it mate!"
*************************************************
I'll lat you in on what exactly Dax has in mind tomorrow...stay tuned.