Monday, November 27, 2006

The Most Important 10 Minutes Of The Day

I was just about to sit down and go through what I consider to be the most important 10 minutes of my day - and then thought I ought to share what I do with you.

Who knows, it might even help you like it does me.

Basically, at the end of my work day...after all the phone calls, e-mails, writing, meetings and whatever else the day might hold...I sit down and do three things:

1. I review my daily action plan in my Franklin Covey Planner (yep...I still use a paper planner. I started using the same model I currently use in 1994). I assess what I accomplished today that moved me closer to my business and personal goals, what I failed to get done that I set out to do and the progress that was made on the tasks that I delegated.

2. I review my 6 month and 18 month goals. I read these goals aloud simply to affirm them - and because I like to hear them :) Not only does this strengthen my resolve to accomplish the goals that I've set, but it serves as a great motivator to see myself accomplish things at an even faster rate than I initially anticipated. This time also serves as a period to reflect on the good fortune that has already come my way. I've been extremely fortunate and I never want to take that for granted - so I make a point to appreciate all that has come my way each evening.

3. I create my action plan for the upcoming day. I list and prioritize the actions that I will perform during the upcoming day...primarily focusing on things that will move me closer to achieving my goals. Every task gets scrutinized because I have no interest in falling into the trap of creating a "to do list" that keeps me busy but does little to help me achieve my personal and professional goals. Doing this activity in the evening also offers the added benefit of allowing me to clear my head. Several years ago, when I was still creating my action plan in the morning - I was rarely able to get to sleep at a reasonable hour due to the abundance of ideas and thoughts racing through my head. The beer probably had something to do with it too.

You probably read this and thought "what's so f$%#ing special about that"? Honestly, not much. But I will leave you with 3 questions:

1. How much time do you spend planning your day?

2. What is the ratio of time that you spend moving you closer to your goals vs time you spend that doesn't move you toward them or moves you away from them?

3. What are you doing to improve that ratio?

I am frustrated if I go a couple of hours without taking actions (even small ones) that move me closer to my goals, but I know dozens of people who go weeks - sometimes months - without taking even a step toward where they want to be.

How are you spending your time?