Monday, October 02, 2006

The Ryan Lee Bootcamp

I spent the weekend at the Ryan Lee Bootcamp and let me tell you - if you didn't attend, you really missed out. I can't tell you how many great fitness professionals I met or finally saw face-to-face after numerous e-mails and phone calls. The presenters were awesome, and I'm certain that anyone who attended left feeling Ryan overdelivered. So here are some random thoughts from the weekend:

  • Nick beat me to the punch (check it out at http://www.nickberryonline.blogspot.com) - in saying that if last year "Velvet Rope" was the underlying theme, them this year that theme was "Systems." I can't tell you how many people I talked to that wanted to learn more about how to systematize their business. Rest assured...I will be talking more and more about this during the upcoming weeks.

  • The difference between the really successful and ordinary is action. At last year's bootcamp Alwyn Cosgrove called out the audience about taking action and I took it to heart. While our businesses we already successful - it became obvious to me that I was thinking too small. There was no way I was going back this year not feeling like I'd really made some real progress in that 12 month span. I often hear people tell me about what they'd like to do, could do or should have done. Shut up and do it.

  • Inspiration. I don't know about you, but when I get to listen to people like Brian Grasso, Alwyn Cosgrove, Mike Boyle and Ryan Lee - and also have conversations with guys like Dax Moy, Craig Ballantyne and Zach Evan-Esh - it inspires me to be better at what I do. These guys (and many others) are unbelievably good at what they do, they've put in the sweat equity and have tremendous passion. I don't want to sound corny, but frankly I consider it being in the presence of greatness and it does nothing but help me improve. Hopefully you feel the same.

  • Industry Incest. This will be the basis of an upcoming post but, in a nutshell, fitness professionals do nothing but mimic other fitness pros. However, the truly successful ones are looking everywhere else to learn so they can stay ahead of the crowd. If you're serious about creating a tidal wave of new business instead of a trickle then start reading more than just Fitness Mags.

  • The successful trainers consistently invest in their education. Our group was having dinner with Ryan, Jim Labadie, Jason Hunter, Joe Stankowski and Todd Scott. The topic of information products came up and the fact that I had everything Ryan and Jim had done was mentioned. Jim even reminded me of an e-mail I sent him just making sure I had everything he offered...he found something he had taken off the market and I bought that in about 45 seconds. Ryan talked about how much he invests in his education and mentioned that all the most successful trainers are the first to buy products when he rolls them out. Heck, even though my tractor floated away in our recent flood - the thing that upset me most was the fact my copy of Alwyn's Program Design Manual got ruined. Most all of the top guys have coaches, belong to mastermind groups and take advantage of every resource they can. Do you?

  • Ryan Lee. Some people in the industry take cheap shots at Ryan, but as far as I'm concerned - they can go to hell. Ryan's Sports Training Profits program was the product that really got me fired up and moving. In a phone coaching session Ryan helped me sort through a few ideas and helped me really focus on developing the Personal Training Money Machine idea. He also has been the guy to keep me focused on innovating because he's always a step or two ahead of everyone else. He's a genius...but he's a genius that is committed helping improve the industry. If you're smart you'll be paying attention to the directions that Ryan moves in...what he does typically turns to gold.

I'll be posting pretty frequently over the next several weeks as my travel has slowed down. I gather Nick will be doing the same. We'll both be adding to the FCG site as well. After hearing what so many of you guys had to say, we're more motivated than ever to deliver as much information as we can to help you build your businesses.

Talk to you soon!